Tuesday, May 4, 2010

You can't make this $%^#$%#@ up

Funsucker insists on teaching. The kids hate it and tell her so. Often. Not that I am awesome, but the usual background noise while she teaches is:
*Why do you have to teach?
*Let Ricochet teach!
*I can't understand you.
*You talk too slow.
*I don't understand

This is usually followed by them coming and asking me questions - because she refuses to work the problems out. She tells them that it looks right, that it loos like X's work, whatever - but she doesn't do the work.

I do.

I told you she got mad and pouted for 20 minutes Friday.

She cannot maintain discipline, so I usually play policeman. I am tired of doing that. So, I have been helping the kids and doing other things.

Today, she lost control and screamed (yes, screamed) at them "I don't get paid to put up with this shit." At which point, the charming HSchoolers I teach kept repeating the word SHIT (She said it, why can't I?)

I got one out in the hall to deal with this and funsucker immediately had a melt down, screaming SHUT UP at them (really effective classroom management). There was an AP in the hall listening, who wants a meeting - it will be pointless once again.

Anyhow, two kids were hauled off by the AP, I went back in the room, funsucker "took a break". As soon as she was gone I had the following discussion with the class.

There are 4 weeks left in school.
She has to teach some of this course (why? Not my choice.) When she teaches, if you don't understand, don't prolong it. Just shut up (then I apologized if that offended anyone) and let her finish. When she is done, ask me. I will be happy to reteach it.

I pointed out that I do the test review, I make sure they know it, and I grade the tests.

And I pointed out that when they yanked her chain, they made my life hard. When they make my life hard, I will be happy to reciprocate.

Then I retaught the lesson she was doing.

The other day, they all rushed the door at the end of class. From across the room I got them to sit down and wait to be dismissed.

They are not bad kids - but I hate that class. Mostly because she makes my life hard and there is not a damn thing I can do about it.

She has some classes that are not mine (thank the Lord). She came to me before one asking if I had enough glue sticks for her class. I am thinking WTF didn't you plan ahead and bring your own supplies - I answered NO.

4 weeks

1 comment:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

These may be the longest weeks of your life...but I hope not.