Friday, May 21, 2010

School is over in a week. When are the Seniors going to decide to come?

Probably a third of my students have lousy attendance.

It is a week before seniors start taking exams. I have a dozen or so who owe me work (projects or tests) that are keeping them from passing. They owe me these things because they do not come to class.

I cannot fathom what gives them the sense that this is a correct thing to say, but they keep asking me if they can take the test home (no) or if they really have to do the work (only if you want to pass).

I can add rigor. I appreciate rigor. But they have already checked out.

3 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

And for the already-checked-out ones, there's really not much you can do, except say, "See ya next year!"

Visit My Latest Teacher Post: ‘A Matter of Safety’

Pissedoffteacher said...

My college class has their final on Tuesday night. Too many took off. Twp girls walked in and said "we're having class tonight?" I work my ass off trying to get them to learn and all they want to do is play.

Ricochet said...

I called home on one Thursday and he showed up Friday.

He: I can't believe you called home on me! I got chewed out!

Me: I can't believe I had to! I hope your mother danced on your head!