Saturday, May 1, 2010

Small victories

Wow, one of the boys who dropped out this year (would never come to school and was repeating most of his classes) just called asking for help solving quadratic equations.

I pointed him to hotmath.com as that website does a better job than most of stepping you through problems. (If you ever visited education.yahoo.com then math, this was the website you were actually seeing).

But the best part was the comment: You know Ricochet, everything I am having trouble with was all that stuff you told was important and you tried to teach it to us.

Hopefully the Internet will provide him with the interaction and instant answers that will help him learn.

4 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

One of the sweetest things a kid can do is to come back a few years later and tell me, "You know what, Mrs. Chili? I kinda hated you when you were my teacher, but now that I'm out on my own, I understand that you were only trying to get me ready. You were right about a lot of stuff, and I'm glad that you were my teacher."

Makes all the bullshit worth it.

mathematicamama said...

themathpage.com is pretty good too.I like the scroll-over features and it has lots of examples and problems.

Ricochet said...

Thanks for the link mathmaticamama - I will tell him if he calls again.

Theresa Milstein said...

At least he figured out that you were trying to help him. And now he's still trying. That's something.