Monday, May 24, 2010

What I know about next year - and what I am guessing

1) Classes will be larger. (Georgia voted today to take off any limit on class size) It has been 32, and there are 32 desks in my room. I do not know how we would get any more in there and move. I can barely put these in groups and move.

2) There will be more pressure to "succeed" - somehow we are going to drag these kids to do well on a test they barely care about when we cannot use grades - or anything else - as an incentive.

3) There is no book. There is no possibility of a book. Somehow we are to make copies of material available on line when there will be no money for copy paper. Gee, I wonder who pays for this?

4) They cut my pay 5% last year. They have already cut another 5%. They keep dancing around an additional 10% = but they are doing this behind closed doors and will not talk to us.

5) Discipline is going to be - interesting.

I do this because I want to.
I do this because I want to.
I do this because I want to.
I do this because I want to.
I do this because I want to.
I do this because I want to.
I do this because I want to.

Yeah, I keep telling myself that.

4 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

More than 32? We are so lucky in Cambridge. Our max is 25.

You're doing this because you want to but they don't make it easy, do they? Every study points to smaller class size as an indicator for student success. It's amazing what the governments decide they can and can't afford.

Ricochet said...

This is Georgia. We have decided we can afford prisons but not schools.

Pay now or pay later.

I feel like Joe Btfsplk.

It may take awhile to get a positive out of this.

Ricochet said...

What is making me giggle (and this shows my sick sense of humor) is I keep hearing people in my school and district saying "but at least I have a job". It reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode "It's a GOOD life!"

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

There are things going on in this district that I can barely stomach. I am going to adopt your mantra:

I do this because I want to.
I do this because I want to.
I do this because I want to.
I do this because I want to.
I do this because I want to.
I do this because I want to.
I do this because I want to.

Both of us will get through the bullcrap!