Sunday, May 16, 2010

Surviving a Layoff 4, the ambiance in the school

If teachers (and everyone else) are taking pay cuts, there is no money for big things - or for little things.

Knowing your staff will be under stress means doing what you can to lighten the load.

Some things cannot be helped.

Teachers will still have too many classes, too many students with issues. We have no text books for the math that we teach (district decision 3 years ago that cannot be helped now). There will be no paper (except what the teachers buy) for copying.

Assuming there is any copying next year, since the school would have to pay for ink.

But, you could offer jeans days every Friday (no cost to you).

Any other suggestions for no fee morale boosters? This was all I could come up with. Anything else (soda breaks, free time) costs money.

These four posts are pretty much what I have. I will do one more.

Comments would be appreciated.

4 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

RESPECT COSTS NOTHING AND IS RARELY GIVEN--SHOULD BE NUMBER 1 ON LIST

Ricochet said...

Yea, but he'd have to have a personality change and I was going for realistic.

Seriously, you are absolutely right. Treating each other (up and down and sideways) with the utmost respect during these trying times should be paramount.

Think how much more pleasant it would be to go to work.

Kim Hughey said...

My biggest morale booster this year did not cost the school a dime. The AP over math and science came down to my room to tell me she thought I was doing a fantastic job and that the school was so lucky to have me. Those words meant a lot since I'd had so much trouble with my classes during the first semester. I wasn't sure what the administration thought of me.

Encouraging words are powerful. Administration should never under estimate their power.

teachin' said...

Ditto Mrs. H - I was going to suggest notes of appreciation. I like paper stuff because you can reread it on a bad day.