Saturday, May 22, 2010

Doing more with less

I am expecting much less next year: less time, less money, fewer resources, and even less motivation on the part of the students.

No, I have no idea what I will be teaching.

I am finding it to be a continual struggle to get kids to work. I mean, you read this, written by top students and you see that even among the top is the realization that their generation is willing to settle and not work.

So, I am thinking about how I will teach _____.

I will ask them to provide a notebook. Since not all can/will, I will provide report covers for those who cannot/will not (available in August for about 10 cents each). I will also provide them with a crate to store them in.

I will ask for 5 dividers. (I won't provide these)

I will ask for paper and pencils. (I will provide paper until it is gone, and golf pencils)

I will ask for graph paper (and print something like this ) (source www.videomathteacher.com)

Each unit will be preceded with a "table of contents" listing the work they will be turning in at the end of the unit for a quiz grade. Maybe a test grade.

And they will need to keep up with warmups leading to the end of course test or graduation test.

Ok, gang, what did I leave out?

4 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I'm tired just looking at this list.

Ricochet said...

Why? Is it no good?

Elaine said...

Concept Checklist, as found on dy/dan? (http://blog.mrmeyer.com/) linked to focus standards?

Curmudgeon said...

I second the concept checklist as an addendum rather than a replacement, especially if you already have that list ready to go.

Two pocket portfolios work better than report covers and they're cheaper without the fasteners. One folder - everything from the chapter, sorted by date. The previous chapter is stapled and in one of the pockets for reference. At the end of the chapter, take out papers, staple with a clean sheet of notebook paper for a cover (w/ name, period, chapter), put back in.
Older chapters can either be "kept in locker" or crated in your room. One crate per class. Pile in the completed chapters, laid flat. Note: I only do this with younger - 9th, maybe 10th. After that, it's their job.

I use the list of work (many times kids will use that as their chapter cover sheet). It gives the students an outline and if I use checkboxes as the bullets they can keep track, too. Anything that appears on the sheet needs to be in the folder and must have my red marks on it or I haven't seen it.

They can then cross check me when progress reports come through since I have the unfortunate tendency to mess up occasionally. Did I enter that bit of data for that kid?

Graph Paper printer is available in a bunch of places. Lots of types, log-log, perspective, polar, music. Here's one site:
http://www.bio.mq.edu.au/units/biol352_pwd/GraphPaper/