Friday, May 28, 2010

Chutzpah

Some students have no lack of it.

Today, I had a student of mine walk in during my lunch to ask me if I would help her with her Geometry (another teacher) final. No.

Then she asked if it was true that teachers cannot fail seniors. No. Two of us were there and said that teachers have to jump through a million hoops, but, yes, you can fail seniors.

I have at lest 2 who will fail. I have a dozen more at risk. If they think I cannot fail them, well, it'll get interesting.

2 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

There's been a long-standing, though unofficial, policy in this district that students with IEPs cannot be retained. The new director of special services put that old myth to rest recently when she told a classroom full of kids with IEPs that several of them were in danger of repeating seventh grade.

Ricochet said...

Sadly I have one boy who worked for a short period of time - then quit. I finally wrote him a letter and told him that I liked him and I wanted him to do well, but I was tired of nagging and I felt it was getting in the way of the class.

At some point he will want it and he will get it then. He will probably drop out.

At this point when I give an assignment, he is tracing the letters in the instructions and writing nonsense down.

I don't get it.