Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Logic

From http://www.overheardinathens.com/

and i have hipbones, therefore i am a snake

* Professor: Tell me what's wrong with this argument. "All vertebrates have hipbones. Snakes are vertebrates. Therefore, snakes have hipbones."
* Freshmen Girl: Snakes aren't vertebrates, everyone knows that!
* Professor: Are you sure about that, cupcake? What are they then, aliens?

(Athens is the home of the University of Georgia)

===========================================================================
I worry about the ability of my students to do a reality check. Ever.

* One has been skipping Anatomy and has a 44 in the class. Graduation is in 2 weeks.
* One skipped my class although I have written him up for skipping 6 times already. He was passing last week. Not this week.
* One walked into another class demanding his test. That would be the one I gave last Friday. And I haven't seen him in the class he is registered for in several weeks.
* I told him he could come to class.

Although another student did look at one of my noncompoops and tell him that he was an idiot, that I (Ricochet) was trying to help him and if he would just do the work I gave him he would pass, that most teachers would have given up on him and I was trying to help - that I was even more stubborn than she was. And I am!!

1 comment:

Theresa Milstein said...

Good for you for not giving up on your students even when they give up on themselves.