Monday, May 3, 2010

There are some students I just don't like.

There is no nice way to say that. There are some who, when I am not teaching them anymore, I will try to forget.

One is similar to the student Mrs. H calls MBS. He has such a lame ego that he has to talk ALL THE TIME. He belittles people around him, as if this makes himself look better. While this works in the short term, people don't appear to like him.

Today he announced that if he didn't have a ride to school, he'd walk because his "bus is full of blacks." Looking at the faces of the kids in my class (regardless of their color) gave my heart a leap of joy - because they were all appalled that he said that.

He comes from a county even more rural than ours, so the odds are the ratio of white to black is more even.

Good news, he will be out of my life soon. Just not soon enough.

2 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm glad your class was appalled by him. That kind of attitude needs to be called out by our society if we're going to continue to make strides.

It's good that he'll be out of your class soon, even if it isn't soon enough.

Ricochet said...

I used him as a motivation today. If you don't do this work, you will not graduate. You will have to listen to him all year - is that worth not doing my work.

Man, watching the kid's face when he realized what I was saying - priceless.