Saturday, May 15, 2010

Surviving a Layoff 2, finding a job

OK, let's talk about looking for a job.

First, you have just taken a major blow in the ego that has left you gasping. If you do not take care of yourself, well, some people do not survive this. But you can survive and even thrive.

1) reflect. We all hate that word, but you need to spend some time just thinking at the beginning. I am not talking about moping around the house, but you can allow yourself some of that. I tend toward depression, so I am fierce with myself that I cannot just sit on the couch, watch tv and mope more than a day or so. Besides, I get bored.

I use paper - figure out how you need to do this.
*where do I stand financially? (that's a biggie)
*are there part time jobs to tide me over?
*(good news for teachers: If they tell you in May, you generally have a paycheck until August or so)
*what do I want to do next? (that reflection is how I ended up teaching. Still a good move, just wish I had done some things differently and glad I did some of the things I did)
*How can I make myself look stronger? (more later)
*what are my strengths and weaknesses (get your friends to help you with this because you will miss most of your strengths and some of your weaknesses. This takes a lot of trust and a really good friend. Buck up and take it. THIS IS IMPORTANT.)

2) take care of yourself. Eat right. WALK (PO I admire this in you and do not do this enough), clean your house, take care of your garden. DO SOMETHING YOU CAN SEE RESULTS IN HOWEVER SMALL. See your friends. If you have no money, take them on a walk with you.

3) Be careful with your money

4) Start writing other districts and also private schools (Yes, I am assuming my audience is teachers. You may have to adapt this to you if you don't teach.) Also send letters and resumes to individual principals.

5) BEFORE SCHOOL IS OVER have your department chair or someone you trust - or several - observe you teaching and have them write the observation down. If it is your principal is out to get you, they probably will not help you get another job (read the beginning of this blog, yes, I have been there). These additional references from your peers may not completely outweigh the evil principal, but they may intrigue the next person enough that they actually see YOU. Keep many copies of these and send them along with your resume.

6) take a deep breath. Often.

7) Know that you have value even when you have no job.

8) improve your credentials. When I started the process that led me to this school, I was certified in math. I added a lot of other credentials. (Here we can do it by passing a test. I have taken and passed a lot of these in the past 3 years. I made a goal that I add at least 1 every year.) I do not plan on being limited again. I like the current number and it will stay that way for a while since it is my favorite number but I am sure I will add more.

9) understand that anything you add to your credential you may have to teach.

10) if nothing happens before the first week of school, send letters out to the principals again timed to hit about the 10-day count (we have a ten day count - that's when they add or lose staff.)

This is pretty much what I have done. When still in industry, I would make myself apply for 10 - 20 jobs every Sunday (that's when the ads came out). Teaching - it isn't the same.

I really hope this helps. If you have suggestions for me - or anyone - please pass them along.

No comments: