Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It's a small world after all

Funsucker was her sucky self today.

The class has senioritis - whether they are seniors or not. I was trying to get the to do the review for tomorrow's test and getting no where.

So I asked her to let them fail: do not mention it again. And she spent the next thirty minutes going to each student asking them to do the review.

She mentioned that she had started as a social studies teacher at a school - and she named the school. Hmmm. One of my best friends (from years and years and years) is in the social studies department at that school. So I called her = and got an earful about what a disaster funsucker was as a teacher five years ago. (didn't take roll, couldn't discipline, didn't grade work, etc.) So she was let go after 6 months.

What an insight I have.

I shared it here. But not with fs......

Yes, we can improve with age - but funsucker hasn't and doesn't see anything wrong with what she does.

2 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

After an observation, I was told, "Teachers are born. Not made." I think that's true to large extent. You must have the talent for teaching, and then everything else (expertise, flexibility, organization, discipline methods, and so on) can make you better. If you think you know everything, then you can't learn, so how can you teach others?

Ricochet said...

I made her mad today (corrected an error - like she does to me often) - she pouted for 20 minutes (no kidding. Sat in the back and wouldn't do anything).

I have everyone correcting me all the time - sometimes they're right, sometimes I'm right. If you can't handle that WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO TEACH?