Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Does Race Influence Who Gets Suspended?

From today's AJC: Does Race Influence Who Gets Suspended?

Really touchy subject.

Buried in the comments in one that says: "Come and spend they (sic) day in many high schools and you will see that the problem that schools are are now dealing with is an entire generation of children who really believe that they can do whatever they want to do with no consequences."

I have kids tell me that I cannot ask them their name, I can't talk to them, I can't tell them what to do. I don't see it as a color issue as much as a cultural one, one that, in combination with the language these same students choose to use, is divisive and not conducive to effective public education.

Racism is an easy charge to make and a difficult one to disprove.

When I stand out in the hall, I ask three things: Take off your hat, pull up your pants, watch your mouth. I have explained (usually to the leaders, as this has been more effective) that I do not want to have to find out their name and write them up. Please find a different vocabulary or a different location.

The language is getting better (except for the girls who refuse to change), the hats whip off their heads when they see me (I always say thank you), and the pants, well, you pick your battles and I think the language is the major one.

I had a meeting before break about one student who seems to be suspended more than he gets detention. I am not the one who selects the punishment. I just know that this child cannot make it to class even when he/she is standing outside my door 30 seconds before class starts.

Do I think the powersthatbe apply punishment equally? No. Each of the APs have kids they like (who skate) and kids they hate (who are punished harder). The kids have even set up a facebook account deriding one of the APs.

I try to deal with the discipline in my classroom by myself. The students do not always make this possible.

Act however you want at home. Come to school ready to learn - or stay home.

How hard is this?

No comments: