Saturday, April 24, 2010

Merit Pay 3

My buddy POd says that I am worried about Merit Pay. Worried isn't exactly it.

I read a lot. I study all kinds of things (oh, the blessings of a liberal arts education and a curious mind). What I see is a lot of pie-in-the-sky promises that are unsustainable. I mean, we are going to make this a better place, and reward great things (when we all know it is so hard to measure those great things) but, oh, yeah, we are either going to have to lay off 5% of our staff or you'll have to take a 5% pay cut.

And how long will it take me to make that 5% back?

In the meantime, they will put more kids in my class, but I'll manage the discipline. They will expect me to teach without books, but they will but back on both the paper they give me and the amount of copies they let me make. Kids don't bring paper and pencil or write things down? I'll manage it somehow.

When businesses start down the road of major layoffs, they seem to fold in a few short years. The layoffs cut deep enough the companies bleed to death.

What happens when the schools bleed to death?

1 comment: