Saturday, April 24, 2010

Merit Pay 2

Please read the posting before this one as well.

I sent a note to our local state senator (who shall remain nameless, not because he deserves it but because I do).

I said:

I teach.

I work very hard to teach math to juniors and seniors who are not particularly good at math.

They would never show as brilliant mathematicians, but they work hard as well.

Who do you think would want to teach this level of math if merit pay was in place?


He replied:
Thanks for your email. Thanks for all your hard work. I understand that the Gov's proposal would apply only to new teachers.


Um, excuse me? Because it will only happen to new teachers, that makes it right? I didn't address nincompoopery, assininess, or any of the 1000 other reasons this is a stupid idea, but you think because you can force this on to new teachers it's ok?

I love the general public who say "but everyone is graded like this - you get rewarded for your work." That's right, and I don't mind being rewarded for MY work. Or for work I have any control over.

But for me to be graded on, say, the senior who comes every tenth day (and has for 2 years) and cannot graduate in 6 weeks because he hasn't put in an effort, no thank you.

1 comment:

Pissedoffteacher said...

or how about all the kids that will be dumped in your class because they are failing someone elses class?