Thursday, April 1, 2010

what a day

* kid who has been suspended returned today. He is failing my class. I went to talk with him about taking a test today to raise his grade: he cut my class instead.

* so I wrote him up - he confronted me in the hall, livid that I had done so.

*Next class: a girl I am having other issues with pulled out her phone and video taped me. I gather I was supposed to be thrilled - I am offended that she so flagrantly flaunted the rules.

* Next class: (by this point I am out of sorts and recognize it) They came in whining that they wanted to go to an assembly - I am giving a test tomorrow and had a great deal of trouble getting them on task. Who knows how they will do.

*Next class: girl friend of 1st kid came in announcing that I was a snitch and she wasn't talking to me and leave her alone and she HATES this class and doesn't want to be here. I accommodated her by having her removed. She is not passing my class either and needed to work on a project today.

There were some bright moments but these overshadowed them. I want to call in sick tomorrow.

Can you tell that we have another break coming?

3 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Your day is much worse than mine. At least I only have one class that fits this description.

Ricochet said...

To be honest, it was only 9 kids spread throughout the day - and funsucker. But, geesh. I hope they all leave early tomorrow.

Dave Marain said...

Gee,
This brings back so many warm fuzzy moments. Why did I ever retire!

Seriously, you are very strong - don't give in to these youngsters. They desperately need consequences and structure.

It also makes me sad. Here I am suggesting challenging these students and you're in survival mode. But count every moment of success. Each of these moments makes it all worthwhile and the whole is so much more than these parts. You may not see it now, but years from now or sooner they will come back and thank you for holding them accountable... Maybe

Dave Marain
MathNotations