Wednesday, April 14, 2010

We don't have another vacation for 2 months

And yet, the kids are acting as if this is the Friday before Spring Break. Check calendar - no, I'm right. It is time to settle down to work. Instead:

* Won't-work-for-anything asked me if I was planning on giving him another packet of work at the end of this semester so that he can pass. This as I was passing out TODAY's work. I asked if he was planning on completing a packet of work. "Nope, I'll just keep it to use when I work on my GED"

* GirlA's boyfriend was arrested for possession. Apparently he was showing it in school. She was devastated and basically unable to function for the rest of the day AFTER the AP told her.

* GirlB's boyfriend broke up with her. At lunch. At a table for of bulling boys. Who unfortunately are in my class with GirlB. Who is too dumb to figure out they are bullies. And the bullies were not taking my hint to shut the heck up.

* Funsucker "cannot eat in 20 minutes" so she comes back from lunch when the spirit moves her. What I cannot fathom is that she is still at the table with administrators WHO KNOW SHE IS TEACHING (and I use this term loosely) WITH ME WHEN THEY SEE ME LEAVE THE LUNCHROOM AND SHE IS STILL EATING. FOR 15 MORE MINUTES. This impacted my being able to find GirlA who had run away when she got the news about her boyfriend.

* I emailed progress reports to the kids who are failing, not coming, and I have emails. Unfortunately there are another dozen that I may end up mailing progress reports to.

* and then a girl asked if she should invite her mother to her graduation. [she lives with her father] This led to a discussion about being the adult (the girl) and doing the right thing. I told her we don't usually regret the things we do, but the things we have left undone. I told her she had one mother and one high school graduation. She mused out loud about what she could talk about (I pointed out it's graduation, you can keep talking about that). But I almost cried when in a very small voice she asked "and what if I invite her and she doesn't come?" I pointed out that she would have done the right thing and we have no control over whether the other people do the right thing or not.

* They furlough 3% of our time last year. They are talking about furloughing another 5%. Or taking 12% or our pay by making us pay their portion of our health insurance. Or shortening the year. But the state is planning on building a $10,000,000 sports hall of fame.

Seven more weeks.

1 comment:

teachin' said...

Ohhhhh....the mom conversation breaks my heart. But what a good response from ou.