Sunday, April 18, 2010

Doncha Hate it When You Get Called on Something?

A student asked me if I liked that class. I said I like the students, but collectively I think there is a lot of disrespect.

They talk all the time. They won't even do minimal work. Their language is awful. There are a couple of bullies who just wear me out.

The good kids are really quiet. So it is really easy to forget that there are good kids in the class. And the drama queens rule. There are four kids in that class (male and female) who are constantly emoting. But, Miss - I wasn't here to learn this! (understand I JUST DID THE WORK ON THE BOARD AND EXPLAINED IT BUT THEY CAN'T HEAR ME BECAUSE THEY ARE TALKING).

I hate writing kids up. But I am going to have to get some of these kids OUT so I can teach the rest. It may mean that they don't graduate. (Yes, it may mean that they do not graduate) but they aren't working and they are hindering others.

I need to recharge and somehow change enough in the next month to learn to ignore the creeps.

I hear this echoed by Mamacita here.

So what am I doing?
* writing up the language (they do not disappoint and are always willing and able to give me a contribution to the write up list)
* reward the quiet ones by encouraging them to finish their work and then go the library or other place that is a reward for them.
* Trying not to resort to verbal sparring with the half wits. After all, they are not fully armed.

Right now I avoiding grading late work. But I really need to get this done.

No comments: