Saturday, April 17, 2010

Unreasonable Expectations

I found out this week that I have unreasonable expectations for my students, all of whom are older than 16 and have been in school 12 or more years. I cannot call them Juniors and Seniors, because not all of them have reached that point in their academic careers.

* I expect them to come into the room before the bell rings, sit down and be prepared for work.
* I expect them to bring a pen or pencil and paper.
* I expect them to not talk while I am instructing.
* I expect them to be quiet when I ask them to be quiet.
* I expect them to stay in the room.
* I expect them to do work.

I expect that some of these children are in for a rude awakening.

On the upside, a student asked me a trig question (proving a trig identity) when I haven't done trig in - oh, call it 7 years. And I got it and could explain it - it was so much fun to do something in mathematics that was not arithmetic.

10 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Your list of unreasonable expectations matches mine exactly!

Ricochet said...

And it does most adults. At what point did we so lose control that the kids get ugly when you tell them they have to stop talking so they can hear the instructions? I sit and wait and eventually write the date of the next test on the board.

A Phillie Teacher said...

Picky, picky. ;)

I'm the same as you, but let me add one to the list:

I expect to *not* have kids in the hallway (probably cutting class) talking so loudly that my own students can't hear what I'm saying.

I poked my head out the door to tell them to be quiet and go to class. One girl's response? "Shut up, bitch."

Holy god. There was no one around to watch my class while I went after the horrible girl. And of course I didn't know her name and of course she didn't stick around long enough for security to get there.

annies home said...

the rules used to be understood without explanation but having juniors and seniors I know how these things are while I would have the same rules as you

Maude Lynn said...

I had those same unreasonable expectations when I was teaching!

Pissedoffteacher said...

I was told by a parent I don't understand teenagers when I mentioned the exact things on your list.

Mr. W said...

yeah those are totally unreasonable. They are just kids, you shouldn't expect them to behave or be responsible. Geeze I thought you might actually expect them to learn.

ok I am done being sarcastic. This is why I love the internet. It makes you realize all of your problems aren't just yours, everyone deals with them.

Ricochet said...

When I started blogging I realized my classes existed in toto in New York, Texas, California, Chicago and several other places.

While ti is reassuring (it isn't me) it also depressing as all get out because who is going supply these people with pencils and paper and answers when the worker bees retire?

Teacha said...

so very glad I'm not the only one with these unreasonable expectations.

Interestingly, my student told me that they were TIRED of hearing about expectations. *sigh* Hopefully, life won't expect as much of them.

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

Oh,you're just mean! That's what my students say about me. You might as well be in that category too.