Friday, December 10, 2010

What extrinsic methods can you use to increase intrinsic motivation?

Wow, doesn't that sound educated?

Finals are next week.

I have kids who are repeating classes.

I have shown them the grades they have and told them how to raise their grade.

I have made them write down what they have to do to raise their grade. Basically, sit down, shut up, do your work and turn it in.

So, today, as I am working through the review (because they will not work it on their own), 6 people out of 25 are listening. Two were legitimately not there. Six others didn't come. Eleven are talking.

One tore up another student's review sheet.

I guess they can repeat it again.

6 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Doesn't that just infuriate you!! Don't you want to just tell them to get the hell out if they don't want to learn? Oh, wait...that's just me?! Oh....

Pissedoffteacher said...

That sounds like my period 7 class. And one kid had the nerve to say that my job depended upon their passing. I told him, NO, I AM GONE IN JUNE!!!!!!

The problem is we are teaching them things totally irrelevant to their lives and beyond their comprehension.

Ricochet said...

I had been writing the answers on the board (multiple choice). I kept doing the work but quit writing the letter. The ones listening were with me.

mathematicamama said...

I tell them -
Take it seriously or take it again.

Ricochet said...

mathematicamama

Succinct even pithy, not sarcastic, to the point. They will never get it but I LOVE IT!!

I will use that from now on!

Ricochet said...

http://mathteachermambo.blogspot.com/2010/12/inspiring-words-of-study-wisdom.html

More inspirational words for students