Thursday, December 23, 2010

"I can't balance my checkbook"

As long as saying that is acceptable, it will be difficult to teach math.

No one would think of saying "I cannot understand what is in the newspaper" or "Here, read this menu to me - I can't understand it." And I realize people do grow up illiterate, but it usually comes with great embarrassment. When someone finally learns to read, sometimes they will discuss this.

But math? Naw, it's ok to say you never got it, you can't do it, when will you ever use it?

I was outside the office of one of the APs and her him telling another math teacher how much trouble she had had in high school math. Well, honey, we knew you didn't get it when we see how you schedule our department.

1 comment:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I know the feeling. Everyone thinks it is fine not to understand math and that makes it hard to teach!