Friday, December 3, 2010

Internal Motivation

I should not care more than my students do about their grade.

I should not care more than my students do about the state test coming up - the one they have already failed once.

And yet . . . .

* I had one student come in for 1 day of review (he was home alone the rest of the week). He talked, joked, hit his friends the entire time he was in my class. He did not even copy information.

* I had one come into class on the last day for the last 5 minutes. (Again, absent the rest of the time). Math was not on his radar.

* One girl came in half the time. She entered late every day (apparently she is unwilling to ride the bus). One day she entered late, walked over to a girl, and stuck her breasts in the girl's face. I do not know why.

* They take the papers I put out to raise their grade - and (I don't know) eat them? In any case they never have them, never do them, but continually ask what they can do to raise their grade.

* One girl comes to another of my classes from study hall in order to raise her grade. She does no work, asks no questions, accepts no help - then sleeps. WTF? Why bother to come?

But I have been assured it is all because I do not inspire them.

They are already repeating the course. They and their parents have been told by 2 teachers in a row that attendance and effort play a part in the grade they get.

I look forward to this class being over.

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I feel your pain.

A Phillie Teacher said...

When did you start working at my school?