Monday, December 20, 2010

Discovering math

I know what works.

I know how to teach.

I can't teach to the test (that is a blog coming soon) even if I wanted to.

BUT

I am going to be judged on how I teach math as a discovery lesson. Refusing to answer their questions, doing student discovery groups with minimal teacher direction EVEN THOUGH WE KNOW THAT THE GROUP WITH THE MOST DIFFICULTY IN THE SUBJECT (black males) LEARN BEST IN A TRADITIONAL WAY.

Really soon, I will be replaced by a parapro.

Why do you need a certified math teacher to teach a math class when you want them to teach it to themselves without books?

John Spencer writes that if you teach the students the material, they can pass the test.

I watch the students I have struggle with this whole concept. Not of my teaching - but of my requiring them to "find" it. They want direction.

SO

As a teacher I am balancing what they want against what the administration wants.

I know the importance of a good education.

I know how to behave in class - even if I think the teacher is a moron.

I am struggling with teaching students who do not want to be there.

I agree that discovery math works if the students want to discover.

How can it work if they use the "discovery" time to socialize? If they think they can fix a semester of not doing anything with a week or a day at the end?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd like to throw out a few caveats on what I said:

1. I teach in a self-contained environment, where I can create a ninety minute math block and a 3 hour humanities block. My students made huge gains because we spent more time on the subject.

2. Although my students are low-income, they are in 8th grade and I am with them all day long. Unlike high school, I have less years to catch up in terms of remediation.

3. In terms of discipline, I am a hardass. Although my teaching style is much more constructivist, I don't put up with crap and (perhaps unlike your environment) I have administrators who will back me up. To me, that's huge.

4. I recognize what you say about students who need a traditional approach. I'm able to blend discovery learning, mental math and authentic challenges with direct instruction and step-by-step explanations of algorithms. It has to be balance.

My whole purpose of that post wasn't saying that "if you teach it, they'll pass it." My point is that as a person who is so vocally opposed to the test, people make the assumption that my students always fail it. It was more about the perception of me as a teacher versus the reality of what actually happens.

Ricochet said...

I understood your points. I really did read all of it.

What I am trying to say is I am being told I can only do one thing. The students tell me they don't get it that way. My contract with them is that I will do more traditional when no one is in my room, if the kids will act as if I do it the other way all the time when the visitors come.

In other words, I will answer your questions when there are not adults in the room telling me I can't if you will act enthusiastic when the visitors are here.

I figured out that trying to teach them all isn't working. I am going to be VERY clear with my rules next semester and be more stringent in getting them out for misbehaving.

The good news for me is that most cuss and the administration will back me up on that.

I have them for 90 minutes also.

I still liked what you said :)

Unknown said...

When I read your posts, I am struck by the notion of autonomy. It seems that the biggest difference in our context (beyond geographic) is not cultural or socioeconomic background, but the level of freedom we have.

My principal says, "Teach the best way you see fit as long as you hit the standards. How you organize it, is your deal. How you assess it is up to you."

He trusts me as a professional. This is the first time in my career when this has been the case. Incidentally, this is also the year that I have had the best results.

If administrators would just provide autonomy to teachers, they would probably get better results.

Ricochet said...

Mine has failed AYP 4 years and is scared.

There is less autonomy this year than in the past.

I guess he thinks we can get it if we have a script.

Someone needs to clue the students.

(PS, some are awesome and are getting it - but there are too many who think they can pass and do nada.)