Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cell phones in the classroom

I just read a comment from one of our Board members that, since the policy on cell phones will change in January, the teachers should use the cell phones as learning devices.

One more thing they expect us to incorporate on the fly with no resources.

But, being game I found an article that discussed cell phones as a learning tool.

It turns out there is an app called Math4Mobile, which has a lot of math tools built in.

I also found a program used in North Carolina, also discussed here.

So, do any of you in Blog land use phones as learning tools?

5 comments:

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

I do not think this is what you are looking for, but it's the reason I allowed cell phones, especially those with 3G. My classes were project-based and kids needed information from all over. With their cell phone they could make calls to whomever they needed to speak. The also brought in music clips and photos for videos they made. When all the computers were in use, they went online and got their own research done by using the phones data plan. And, when things weren't going right, I made them call their parent and I spoke to them, on their own phone. It worked for me.

LSquared32 said...

Kate Nowak has some posts about using cellphones in class.

Pissedoffteacher said...

I refuse to use my own cell phone in class.

ChiTown Girl said...

Maybe I just really don't get this because I teach the babies. I see any useful reason for having cell phones in class. But, like I said, that's just me. :)

A Phillie Teacher said...

You could also use your phone to text certain students to stop talking and get back to work. That makes it a learning device, right? ;)