Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Some kids can't help themselves II

* Discussion in my class that seemed to be about procuring dope - I REALLY didn't want to hear it. I pointed out that it was not smart to have that kind of discussion in front of a mandated reporter - then we discussed what a mandated reporter is.

* Student asked about ghosts and whether I believed in them. The she said :Have you ever walked into a room with no one there and said 'I know you're watching me!'? This way if the government IS watching you they'll feel guilty."

* Girl walking past my door: ". . . then he put his balls in my hand." TMI and I need a hot shower. EEEWWWWW.

* Caught a kid cheating (he doesn't know yet. Math is SOOOOOO easy to make a second test that looks like the first.) Called his mother - she called back - then denied she was his mother. Fine- I will call dad at work tomorrow.

* Bright girl who should have an A but thinks she is too good for my class and won't turn any daily work in - or stop interfering with others. I have started collecting her blank sheets, dating them, and collecting them - then entering the zero in the grade book.

* Boy (who was written up by another teacher for not being where he was supposed to be. I notified the teacher he was near my door when he was supposed to be 2 buildings away): "it's your fault. If you hadn't told my teacher, I wouldn't be in trouble." And if you'd been where you were supposed to be, I wouldn't have emailed her.

They do not understand that part of our job is enforcing school rules.

2 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

I love it when they're OFFENDED by our holding them to the standards of school behavior, or when they're surprised when we actually call them out on their stupid shit.

Ugh.

Oh, and about your collecting blank papers on this girl? I do that, too, but I do it with pretty colors:

http://teacherseducation.wordpress.com/2009/10/31/pink-paper-policy/

Parent-teacher conferences for this term are coming up next week. This ought to be fun.

Ricochet said...

I love your pink paper policy but, really, I am spending enough on paper this year. Collecting hers will have to do for now.

We have a recovery policy that specifically says I do not have to recover anything when there is no effort. That is why I am collecting them. No other student just leaves them on the desk.

Can we say contempt?

I find it interesting that no other girl will talk to her.