Saturday, March 20, 2010

"I'm Sorry" does not make it go away

I find it interesting that the kids seem to think if they say "I'm Sorry" - that that's all they have to do, clean slate, move on.

I make my expectations clear. Student was 20 minutes late because he wandered over to the attendance office to see if he could catch a ride and leave. He did say he was sorry. I still wrote him up. Then he kept saying "But I said I was sorry."

* He knew he was supposed to come to class.
* He knows he doesn't drive.
* He knows he didn't talk to me before heading out.
* He knows I write people up.

Another young man stole an iPhone and then shot the owner when he chased the thief down. The mother is quoted in the paper:

"He said he was sorry," Vonda Smith told the AJC after talking to her son from the Fulton County jail. "He said he didn't mean to do it."

Gee, isn't that special?

3 comments:

A Phillie Teacher said...

Of course he didn't mean to shoot that guy. It was probably the victim's fault for getting in the way of those bullets!

Obviously his mother has done a wonderful job raising that child. He knows when he should apologize.

Ricochet said...

Please note: the shooter didn't apologize. His mother did.

Teacha said...

its b/c we have taught the saying sorry is enough all throughout childhood; we forget that restitution must be made. *sigh*