Saturday, March 20, 2010

Funsucker - attack of the goofballs

We are reviewing for the graduation test. While most pass (for our school it sits at less than 10% do not pass. I have no idea if that means first time or forever.), for my students more than half end up taking math more than once. You have five chances to pass it.

So, every math teacher who teaches Juniors has to review for the test for three weeks. (Apparently most spend a week or less).

I have done these problems as warm ups this semester. I spent 2 weeks reviewing in every class. When we got to this week, since I have classes where half have already passed this but I cannot do anything else with them, I cried uncle. I split the classes in half, told the seniors to find something to do (or gave them make up work for me) and worked with just juniors.

Funsucker wanted to do the review with the juniors. Fine. We have established that it isn't a good mix to have the seniors in there when she is doing this (because she cannot maintain discipline). She took the juniors away 2 days. The last 2 days, she refused to take them and has been teaching the juniors in the room - doesn't appear real successful. I am tired of being the heavy. I do not have a problem maintaining discipline when I am the one teaching - why should I have to be the room monitor when she is teaching? If she can't do this, then let me.

Anyway, she suggested they play trasketball as a review.

First, she was late. I worked through 2 problems, showing them strategies, before she came in. I had 2 students that I have taught before come for help (they do not have a math class and want to pass).

So, she took the room and I moved to the back to work with the 2 who had come in.

In 2 hours, they worked 2 problems.

I repeat: in 2 hours, they worked 2 problems.

They worked a problem. They threw the trashketball. They worked another problem. They threw the trashketball. They did a practice shot. She told them not to throw it at each other. They threw it at each other. Chaos ensued. FOR TWO HOURS.

I worked through 5 pages of problems with the few who wanted to work.

I also wrote up 2 students who came in 20 minutes late and contacted their parents. And another who skipped. She threatened to write up several (in fact, she threatened several of them several times. Since she doesn't have access to their information and she didn't ask me for it, I know she is just threatening.)

The last thing she told the students was "what is the probability you can make this basket?"

The last thing I said, as I picked up the last trash (they did clean up most of it)"What is the probability we will ever play trashketball in here again?"

I have been calling the parents of the weakest to give them the URL for an online prep site if they want it, since their children didn't appear to take the prep seriously. Several keep repeating that the test is easy (they have not had it yet so they are going on rumor). I keep repeating that more than half had to take it more than once. They are unaware that there are several students in the room who have failed it 3 times already. Those kids are taking this review much more seriously.


On another note: a teacher came up to me Friday and said "The kids were talking and said you snitch them out if they are loitering on your corner [meaning they do not get to class]." She high fived me.

No comments: