Friday, March 12, 2010

More Funsucker

Last semester, the kids I taught with Funsucker would beg me to teach when she was teaching. And they wouldn't behave for her.

This semester, they started liking her (I believe I am harder - I know I teach the material faster). She still cannot maintain discipline. She doesn't have the stare - and, when I am teaching, she is running around schmoozing, trying to be their friend.

I am concerned about them. I am not their buddy.

So, we've been reviewing for the exit exam. Half the kids have already passed it - but I have made everyone do the review. After all, this is what you are expected to know and any test you take from this point on will have this material on it.

I teach how to take a multiple choice test. I talk about the math, but when the problems get to be longer, I teach how to plug the answers in to find the right one.

Ten per cent of the school fails the math test. I have no idea if that is total (since they can take it more than once) or if that is the first time. I do know that about half of the ones who have passed it took it more than once. So, I am teaching how to pass the test.

When we finish with this, I go back to teaching for understanding. But right now, I show them how to do well on a multiple choice test. And I tell them they can do it.

She teaches the math. Slowly. (Think about the difference between solving, say, a system of equations and finding out which answer makes both equations true.)

Then she tells them (every time she teaches) when she cannot get their attention:
* Some of you will not be graduating.

* Some of you will never get a diploma.

* I'm going to write you up. (She never does, so this is a stupid thing to say. I do write them up and make it VERY clear to the offender that it is written and his/her behavior will determine whether it is submitted. And I hand them a copy.)

* You (looking at the offender) will not amount to anything.

* You are all a bunch of thugs! (this actually was an endearment. Really? This is what you want these kids to aspire to?)

And of course, be quiet. Be Quiet!! BE QUIET!! BE QUIET!!

I know I am a better test taker than she is. I think I can teach them some of the ways I use to answer the questions. But her ego is tied into this and she has to teach.

No comments: