Monday, March 8, 2010

Classroom management

I was in a meeting this morning and a teacher (Sweetie) was saying that her students pull their bookbags into her way when she is walking through the aisles.

Another teacher asked her why she didn't pick up the offending bookbag and move it to some place out of the way (front of the room, back of the room, away from the kid) and write the kid up.

Sweetie said that the kids argue with her when she writes them up. She said some more things.

I know (from my students) that she cries when the kids act up. I thought, we've given her these suggestions for three years. And she keeps coming back with her victim mentality. And they keep doing mean things.

She needs to get meaner. And how in the world do you help someone do that?

6 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

You can't. Some people don't belong in the classroom. I know this is harsh, but it is reality. YOu can't show the kids your weakness.

Mrs. Chili said...

PO is right - that's something she's got to negotiate for herself. Clearly, she's not figured it out yet.

Miss Brodie said...

Quite frankly if all she's worried about is book bags in the aisles I don't know why she's crying!

Theresa Milstein said...

I once had to shadow a horrid seventh-grade class. The first-year Spanish teacher at one point had a breakdown, telling the students, "I don't have to do this. I could be doing..." while in tears. The students just laughed.

I assume if they're putting book bags in her way, they're probably doing a lot of other mean things. It's probably hard to tell her if she could get a backbone, she'd cry less.

Mr. W said...

Agree with PO'ed. If she hasn't gotten tougher by now, she is going to end up being one of those statistics about teachers leaving within 5 years.

or you could go about "training" her like on South Park

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/152311

Ricochet said...

She taught younger grades before. Another friend and I were talking (because the crier is a nice person) that she probably should go back to the younger kids. Not everyone is heartless - er - strong enough for high school.