Friday, March 12, 2010

Fire the lawyers - er, teachers!

Stolen from another source (which I will not credit) and paraphrased:

One of my old teachers told me a good student can overcome a bad teacher but it's very difficult for a good teacher to teach a poor student. If a student wants to learn, the can be taught by anyone, assuming they don't have a some great disability preventing them from learning. There are many variables teachers have no control over: poverty, home situations, student choices (like drugs, cell phone use, or staying up late) and to blame the teachers alone is to be unfair and dishonest. If the people who think it is the teachers alone who are failing in the schools, those people would have a different opinion if they spent a little time in their [teachers']shoes in the front of the classroom.

Funsucker is not a bad teacher. I hate "working' with her (and I use the term loosely) but she is the right teacher for some students. She is not playing her strong suit to insist on teaching in a general ed classroom because she doesn't teach on-level. She is slow, rigid, pedantic, methodical. And condescending.

But there have been bad teachers in my past: the one who cried and was unable to discipline the class enough to teach anyone anything; the one who drank and again couldn't discipline; the special ed teacher who showed movies in her small group class (nothing remotely related to the curriculum); the one who came in to a working department (one that had it all together and moved seamlessly), convinced that she knew it all - and then cussed her students out; the teacher who hauled the 5 kids who failed a state test to the front of the room, announced their scores to the class, and humiliated them. Most of those are no longer teaching.

4 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

Tears like the last one you described - the ones who humiliate - have no business teaching. I once worked with an Italian teacher who made the students take an oral exam in front of the entire class and belittle them when they made mistakes.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Your list of ineffective teachers is depressing...

Mr. W said...

The first day of my teaching career had a moment that I will never forget.

The class was a 40 student class that was taught by two of us. I just followed along. They took a scantron test and the teacher was reading out scores. He asked this one kid if he wanted his score. The kid said yes, the teacher was like are you sure? smiling at the same time. The kid said yes again. The teacher turned his test around and was like "he got a zero missed them all!" "did you even try? or did you try to fail?"

That poor kid. Everyone laughed, my jaw dropped because this went against everything I had learned. Turned out the kid confused the inequality sign on the entire test.

I have never had that happen, but I think I would handle it a little differently.

Ricochet said...

I will only read grades if the are good and the kid insists. And I won't always do it then.

What a cretin (teacher).