Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Who's on first?

I had a student stay for tutoring today. There is absolutely no way this student can pass this class (algebra 2) because the entire hour and a half went like a version of Who's On First? only not as educated or entertaining.

I am not going to bother identifying me or the student in the following. All of you are smart enough to figure out who is who. Even those of you who are not wild about math.

[I drew a 30-60-90 triangle on the board. I identified the hypotenuse, the different angles, and the relationship of the various sides. This was recovery - we spent several weeks on this.]

[The side opposite the 30 degree angle was 11. The hypotenuse is Y. The side opposite the 60 degree angle was X]

What is the value of Y?
X?

What is opposite the 30 degree angle?
60?
No.
90?
No
The hypotenuse?
No
2?
Where do you see a two?
50?

[I explained the example drawing again. We went through the same questions and the same answers again. I pointed to the 30 and asked what was opposite it and finally got the answer 11.]

I asked what 2 times 11 was.
121.
No.
[pulls out calculator - punches in numbers] 22.

Finally get him to see that Y is te hypotenuse and that the hypotenuse value is 2 * 11.

An hour and a half and we found 4 values......... With me prompting for answers.

But I am supposed to go for deeper understanding.

4 comments:

LSquared32 said...

Uhm, yup. Not going to pass algebra 2. Wow. It looks like someone would have to go back pretty far with that kid to get so solid ground you could build from. Sadly for kid, public education does not have enough spare dollars for a private tutor for the next 4 years.

Anonymous said...

Well math is not for everyone...I hope he is good looking.

Ricochet said...

Sweet Tracie - he doesn't even have a sweet personality.

It is my largest class. They cannot stop talking or do anything remotely related to the material.

He will not be the only failure.

Kim Hughey said...

Yep, this is par for the course in the age of algebra II for all.

I've seen it over and over.