Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Do you ever have students you cannot write a recommendation for?

I was thinking about a student from last year. I had already written her recommendation but hadn't given it to her yet when she created a major brouhaha for reasons I still do not understand and started spreading lies about another teacher.

The lies could have cost the teacher her career, if anyone had believed the student, but by that time the number of lies the student had been telling were collapsing on themselves.

So, I told her I couldn't write the recommendation after all.

I have some students in my hellish class who are ok math students (they are better at math than the others in the class but they are not as great at math as they believe they are). But they are awful people. Rude, disrespectful, disruptive.

I do not believe they would ever ask for a recommendation because I do not believe they have any respect for anything I would do. But if they did, I cannot see how I could write one that was even tepid.

Hmmmm.

1 comment:

Mrs. Chili said...

I have become the Mistress of the Recommendation Letter, and I'm actually really good at writing damning letters that sound lovely and professional. You need to use catch phrases like "continues to struggle with..." and "hasn't yet grasped..." Really; I'm very good at writing letters the kids will think are fine, but that any semi-educated grown up would be able to see right through.

Just for giggles, try it. It's actually kind of fun (and vindicating). Remember, too, that MOST (not all, but most) places require that the student sign a non-disclosure statement, so they can't read their letters. If that's the case, you're free to say whatever you want in whatever way you wish.