Saturday, October 2, 2010

wet cement

One of my students was arrested this week and, from what I can find, his bail alone will cost his parents more than $500.

He was arrested for prowling and loitering and interfering with the police.

I couldn't help myself - I read his facebook. And there he says "I'm finaly outta jail.. Free man. I was loCCed up fo fi9htin da police. Dey kept disrespektin da fuxx outa me. Wit out dat badge they a bitch and a half!! I'm tryin 2 ckhan9e my life around but day shit juss be hard azz hell I think di55 shit iz juss in my blood real shit so ni99as juss needa quit tryin to ckhan9e me."

Obviously, an creative writer.

He had a message from a mother on his website warning him that he shouldn't store naked pictures of girls on his cell phone as he might get arrested for that.

What are people thinking?

I cannot fathom the teenagers at Rutgers who posted the video. I told my classes this week that if they are not willing to write a message in wet cement so that it will be there fo-ev-ah they ought not to post it on any social media.

I have kids all the time who tell me they have cussed out this teacher or that administrator because "they disrespected me." I point out the kid gets punished and the adult goes and gets coffee - they do not understand, as obviouslyy we are peers.

No comments: