Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What is so wrong with asking the students to do work?

* I asked them for three nights to take problems home and work them because we couldn't get far enough in class and they couldn't do the problems. They would not do them at home. I told them it will take that much longer to understand it because they need practice.

* So they asked me today if we could have a fun day. Sure, I said. Let's do math - I think that's fun.

* I had one girl work quite a long time on a project to raise her grade. And I watched her let someone else copy it. Now the second student won't learn what the first student did - but I did make a comment that I couldn't believe she would just give her work away.

* In another class a student turned in 2 projects - her own and another student's. It was amazing how the handwriting on both were identical.

3 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

Ugh.

We're doing parent conferences in CHS this week, and it's been a nightmare. I've never witnessed so many kids just shrug their shoulders and not give a shit about their 6% average...

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

I am sure you are just picking on those poor children and anyway you can't prove it's identical handwriting and my child shouldn't get punished for letting someone else copy her paper because at least she did the work and....

There. Did I cover all the bases?

oh, wait. Maybe if you were a more inspiring teacher....

There. And we had conferences last week. Ick.

Ricochet said...

The girl whose handwriting was the same? I said Gee, Joey has the same handwriting. She asked if she had to do it over - I laughed and told her she had already done it twice.

Joey, however will have to do it.

The girl who was letting her friend copy = I think she was looking for acceptance. She took her cards back and the other girl insisted she wasn't copying.

I channeled Nanny McPhee.

I hate discussing any of this with parents.