Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Schadenfreude

Yesterday was the last day. As I am trying to pack up my room (and reminding myself - as I do every year - that I bring too much) I was also dealing with a student taking my exam as she wasn't here when she should have been.

After the student left (she passed), a young teacher who was RIFfed (and apparently surprised) came in. gleeful that a student we had in common had failed more than one class. And not graduated.

I know this boy made the teacher's life miserable, but, REALLY? How can you be happy someone didn't graduate? For some of these kids, that's it, they won't come back. I will try to reach the kid over the summer and see if I can't talk him into finishing.

The young teacher got into a pissing contest with his students and everyone lost. Several of us tried to talk with him to no avail.

I still grieve for the ones I failed, even though I know I did everything I could and that they failed me rather than the other way around.

But there are no kids I would be happy to see fail or not graduate, even the ones I am doing the happy dance because I will not be teaching them ever again.

No comments: