Sunday, June 27, 2010

I wish I knew FB better ** updated

A boy I taught last year asked me to be his friend on FB. Anthony describes himself as a goon, and he appears that way to a large number of people. A lot of teachers are afraid of him and he had several court appearances during the year for assault.

I loved him!

Anyway, I accepted him as a friend and a post from his website appeared on my wall. The vocabulary was - awful.

I sent him a note "I would love to have you as a friend on FB. But, you use language that I don't want to read every day, so I am going to have to pass. My email is **@**.com and I would love to have you email me. I just do not want to read those words on my FB. Does that make sense to you? I hope so. I understand you need to talk that way for your friends, and that's fine." When I checked his FB - ALL OF THE FOUL MOUTHED POSTINGS WERE GONE.

Did he just make it so I can't see them? (That would be fine with me) I really do like him and hope he invests more in school than he has.

His response to my note was "Oh, OK". And then he told me that another of my bad boys said he loved me. I think this is so cute!

Updated: He deleted the offending posts from his page.

Wow.

4 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I'm afraid to "friend" kids and turn down all their requests.

Unknown said...

Special education students are really getting the shaft at my school. State regs are being ignored because my AP is too lazy and stupid to do things correctly.

rantingwoman.wordpress.com

Mrs. Chili said...

We never know the effect we have on kids.

I don't accept my current students as friends on fb. If I liked them, though, I'll accept them after they graduate.

Ricochet said...

Mrs. Chili, my rule as well.

I have no life, so it isn't like I'll be posting pics of wet t-shirt contests!!

Ranting: I had to all but pitch a fit to insist that Funsucker take the kids with "small group testing" someplace. She kept taking them to the library until I made the AP meet with me.