Saturday, June 5, 2010

Six Word Saturday



It's all over but the cleanup!


For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.

Graduation was last night and my babies all looked so grown up! I got enough hugs to last me til August!

The crowd behaved. There were airhorns, cowbells, and shouting = but they made noise for brief moments so you could hear each announcement. In the past the crowd really disrupted the ceremony.

It was disappointing that some people weren't there.

I can't find the previous post, but I posted about one student who wondered if she should invite her mother to graduation. And I told her that she should because it is the right thing to do - that you can be polite to someone for one night (she and her mother have issues). Then she asked in a small voice "what if she doesn't answer?" And I told her that she would know she had done the right thing and it is her mother's loss.

As of Thursday, she had not heard from her mother.

I said, if it matters, know that I will be cheering for her and acting and feeling like she was mine when she walks across the stage.

After graduation, I had another teacher take a picture of the two of us which I will send to her over the summer. She told me then that her mother had called right before graduation to say thank you for the invitation but she couldn't come because her back was hurting.

That woman doesn't know what she missed.

10 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

My response in 6 words...Those were the days. Having grads.

Here's mine for the week. Hope you can join me.

Bing Yap said...

i can't understand how a mother would want to miss her own kid's graduation.

good luck with the cleanup. great 6 words!

if you have time, my sws post is here. happy weekend!=)

brandi said...

~wonderful words you gave to her...a moment she will carry with her always...so many people miss such opportunities because of fear of no response but as you told her...atleast she tried and she knows she did the rightthing! a blessing and gift you are to all who come your way...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

Lola said...

Terrific 6 words!

Happy SWS!

LOLA;)

maddie/cadesmimi said...

My hat is off to you for teaching seniors in this day and age! I was a first grade parapro for 15 years--I can only imagine what some of my former students would be like as seniors! I miss education, so I've enjoyed reading your blog. I know all too well how those last weeks and days of school can be. Enjoy your summer! It's a real shame that the mother missed her daughter's graduation, she should've been there with bells on!
I'm commenting under my "mimi blog" but I'm participating in SWS under my main blog Reflections...by Kathy. Didn't want to confuse you...

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

That photograph will mean the world to your student in years to come. What a great idea to have someone snap the two of you together!

Six Words about Insomnia

Ricochet said...

MMT, yes, I think it will and that makes it worth it.

One boy had flowers for another teacher and came up to me saying, "my mom forgot your flowers but I will send a card" I hugged him and told him that his being there, in his can=p and gown, was all the thanks I needed. He almost didn't make it.

Margaret Ann said...

My 6 for you: A beautiful gesture on your part!

Happy SWS!

Ron Cooper said...

Nice post about your grads!

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

I've heard the exact same words from a student whose parent did not show up for an event. Many of the Academy graduates did not have parents attend as they had "other" things to do. Why would you not show up for your kid? And not feeling good seems to be a good excuse for so much with these people.