Sunday, June 6, 2010

It's outrageous

* We have always had a period (2 or 3 days) after school is out where kids with a 60-69 can raise their grade. Not this year (no money). I had a student this week say that if the teachers cared, we would come anyway. I pointed out I am here before or after school and if HE cared, he would have found a way to take advantage of that.

* I know teachers should not be responsible for making up budget shortfalls, but it galls me when a teacher sanctimoniously says he will not be buying paper, his kids can copy off the board. I am so not looking forward to next year.

* I am so tired I cannot think of any others.

3 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

They take advantage of us because they can. We should not be buying our own paper and kids should not expect us to come in on our own time.

Once the term is over, its over. Too bad for them.

Theresa Milstein said...

The kids are our future is so cliche, but it's true. Education should be a priority, not the first thing to go when a town, city, or state has less money.

Hang in there!

Teacha said...

I totally understand the teacher no wanting to use his personal money to buy paper. We've been doing that here FOR YEARS! Every since I started teaching!!! Here is what I did, I told the students: I have to buy the paper you use in this class. If you want handouts to continue rather than writing everything down, you will donate it. Paper flew into the classroom. That year. I had about 4 or 5 boxes of paper. Same thing with Kleenex. I ended up giving several boxes away to other teachers. And I still had enough left over to start me out for the next school year.

The student who thought teachers should stay is simply a product of his generation. So many of the kids today feel a sense of entitlement.

p.s. when did i get so behind in my blog reading all of these comments in one day is "outrageous."