Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Nightmares and regrets

I failed 5 people this year. One really bothers me. Four didn't come to school - had they come, they probably would have passed because they would have been here to nag and get the work from them. But I saw them each about once the last month.

But the fifth was there every day. He was behaved, he was quiet, he was capable - he did no work.

I talked with him, I listened, I even wrote him a note. Nothing reached him. And he failed my class.

I have dreamed about him every night - but I wouldn't have done it any differently. If he had done SOMETHING, I would have curved the grade. But he either turned in nothing or a blank sheet with his name on it.

He would not even copy work placed in front of him.

Understand, he is capable of A work.

And I never figured out how to reach him.

4 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Ihave lots of kids like that. There is nothing ayone can do. These kids have to do it themselves.

Ricochet said...

I know that but it isn't helping me sleep.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I have a student just like that in summer school--and I'm not sleeping either!

Teacha said...

I had kids like this. (((Ricochet))) There may have been a reason he chose his path. I had one that did this as a sign of rebellion to his parents (his sister was valedictorian & KNOWN for being stellar, he was tired of being compared.) So to piss his parents off, he stopped working, his plan worked.

Be encouraged, the work you do is amazing.