Thursday, November 11, 2010

Why did I go into teaching?

1) I filled out my benefits this week. That would be the benefits my broke county is no longer paying for. I will be taking home less money than when I started teaching 5 years ago. Gotta love progress.

2) The kids will not stop talking. They do not know the material. I love this stuff but cannot get them to listen, much less do any problems.

3) We have trouble getting the kids through a class with a 15% end of course test. Starting next year, we are talking 25%.....

4) the crappy communication in my department is driving me crazy.

5) I have 6 kids in jail for fighting (3 separate fights). Morons.

6) Oh, yeah - where in this list is ANYTHING about teaching?

3 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

If you listened to my AP, the kids would not be talking. He seems to know it all!

Anonymous said...

I often feel the same way, why did I go into teaching? It seems like the system just beat me up and threw me down for stupid reasons.

ChiTown Girl said...

Sadly, I've been asking myself this very same question, a LOT, lately. I'm giving VERY serious thought to making a major career change. I'll be going back to school in January. I just haven't decided if it'll be for another masters degree related to education, or if I'll start taking classes for a whole new career.

If I hadn't become a teacher, I would probably have become an accountant (I adore numbers and all things math!!). Perhaps I'll look into becoming a CPA? Not only would I not have to deal with asshole parents, their asshole kids, and the SUPER asshole administrators, I'm sure I'd be making more money than I do now, even after teaching for 20+ years and possessing a masters degree!