Saturday, November 6, 2010

Six Word Saturday



Different generation. Different set of rules.



I read an article about working with a staff of 20-somethings and how the manager is having to adapt because what-has-always-worked isn't. (I'd give you the link but I have no idea where I found it.) I wrote about my last test - and my write ups which have resulted in 3 requests for face to face meetings with the parents.

All I want to do is give the kids the opportunity to pass both my class (which they want) and the state test(which the school needs).

Apparently what the kids want is unfettered freedom from any societal norms (language, behavior, dress), a grade they haven't earned, and no insistance on work.

We are coming into my favorite time of year. I love the smells, the music, the froofroo (however you spell that) - but I am not enjoying it because of the stress of dealing with these people (students) ( do not like.

Add, that if they pass, I get them for another semester. (Oh, the conflict). I am being scrupulously honest as I do not want my feelings against them to be the reason for the grade.

This morning I read a brief piece on mindfulness, of being very aware of where you are and being in the moment. I want to start practicing that.


For more Six Word Saturday participants, click here.

2 comments:

Mrs. Chili said...

I'm not giving in. I have rules, and I hold the kids (both biological and academic) to them.

MY favorite bit is when the parents complain about my rules. There'll be a rant on the teacher blog coming up soon about THAT...

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

agree,
thanks for sharing.
Happy Saturday.