Thursday, November 25, 2010

How do you raise their own goals?

There is a website where you can see the active inmates in the county jail. I have gotten addicted to checking it out. Once someone is released, they don't show, so if you want to know if someone was arrested, you really need to check it everyday.

Which is how I know that the Powers That Be have started throwing students who fight directly in jail. A dozen have landed there - briefly - over the past few months. And maybe that is the wake up call that they need.

There is one boy in there now that I taught 3 years ago. He has been in the jail a month. When I taught him as a freshman, I remember he told me that Algebra wasn't important to his future, he was going to end up in jail anyway.

And there he is, during what should be his Senior year, fulfilling what he sees as his destiny.

3 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

What a sad story. Maybe his time there will help turn him around?

On an up-note, I wish you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the long weekend!

Sue VanHattum said...

Doesn't sound like a wake-up call to me. Sounds like he's fulfilling his destiny. It'll take something positive to help him see a different path for his life, I'd guess.

Ricochet said...

I do not believe it is a wake up call for him. I only taught him for a month (and I use "taught" loosely). I do not believe the other student, in for the second time - someone who had already been accepted in a college program he wanted, who only had to graduate, and whose parents are not paying the bail this time - I don't think it is a wake up call for him either.