Sunday, November 14, 2010

This isn't progress either

I don't have the answer to what we do with kids who do not think the rules apply to them, but I don't think this is in society's benefit.

One of my ex students was arrested last week for robbery and battery. I wrote him up at least 3 dozen times for skipping my class last year. And obsenity. Did the lack-of-following-the-rules lead to his current location? I don't know. I do know that all of these kids who are interviewed after being arrested think they deserve another chance.

And, when given one, their decisions do not change.

Apparently they think the rules do not apply to them?

I do not take points off for late work. I told them this year that I will only grade late work (which includes anything for grade recovery) about once a month. I don't enjoy grading one of these papers, and three of this paper, and a handful of that paper. So I only make myself do it every couple of weeks.

On-time work I try to grade on-time.

They still think I should change - that a deadline is a suggestion.

Right.

4 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

You are better than me. I refuse to take late work. If they didn't do it when we went over it, it is useless. They never look at thecorrections it takes me hours to do.

Ricochet said...

I would just have to come up with some other activity to raise their grade so it would hurt me not them.

mathematicamama said...

I do my late papers like yours, (and one of the APs thanks me for being a child-advocate.) I just warn the kids that I'll get to it when I get to it- just like how and when they did the assignment.

gemini said...

The teacher in action....giving chances to students who cannot seem to follow can be a pain......know what i mean...but we can still be their advocate. Gogogoogogo...teach!