Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dum dum da dum (funeral dirge)

Tomorrow during planning I have to go to the administrator in charge of my department (a former PE teacher) and explain why I am teaching skills instead of depth. Fortunately the class behaved - although I did have to remind 3 boys that sleeping the class while an administrator is there is not smart.

I have ranted about our math program. It is the only thing I have taught but it isn't the way I was taught. I don't see anyone succeeding at it - except the teachers of the gifted and there is indication that their students aren't coming out of this with the same understanding that students did in prior years.

The administrator knows all the education buzz words but really, truly does not understand math on any level. It should make no difference whether the pieces are cohesive - or not.

This is a person who takes pride that he/she was handed a course the day before the kids came and do it well. And I just want to teach the same thing 3 years in a row to get better. My poor students.

1 comment:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I heard that the admins think my AP is a master teacher in spite of being a sucky human. It is pathetic what passes for good teaching now a days. We will fall farther and farthem behind at the rate we are going.