Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Discouraged

I have a couple of repeater classes. I have made it clear that I will build in assessments that are not necessarily tests so that it is possible to pass the class even if you do not test well.

I am discouraged that this information apparently translates in teenager as "Come see me and I will do your work so you do not have to think."

I ask that they not talk while I teach.

I am discouraged that this information apparently translates in teenager as "You can be as disrespectful as you want to me because I was obviously disrespectful when I asked you to stop talking and listen to the instruction."

I assign seats because they have not learned yet how to behave in a high school classroom. They are juniors.

I am discouraged that this information apparently translates in teenager as "Oh, I didn't really mean you have to sit in this seat because you don't feel like it today." I actually told a student that I didn't care that she didn't want to sit in her assigned seat. She earned it and would have to earn her way out of it.

No comments: