Saturday, November 13, 2010

This isn't progress

When I was a senior, the valedictorian was married. And pregnant. (and the marriage had come first) But they wouldn't let her attend graduation as it "wasn't seemly".

I had a pregnant 9th grader this week ask me if I was happy she was pregnant. No, why would I be?

I know at least 3 girls who have gotten pregnant by boys who will not graduate from high school because they cannot cannot follow the rules. Some even have jail time because school rules are not the only ones they will not follow. I can't be happy for them either. At least one of the mothers is in jail for battery.

What was it I read last week? Something like 75% of black babies are born out of wedlock. The children I am describing are not all black. Incredible choices.

I guess I see why math isn't important.

3 comments:

http://dkzody.wordpress.com said...

When I was a senior one of my classmates, one of the top girls in the class, got pregnant and her father forced a marriage. The girl was immediately removed from school, but at least she had the credits so could get a diploma. The marriage failed, the boy died years later, and I often wonder about the boy who would now be 40 years old. What is his life like?

rghoman7 said...

I had a pregnant student ask me if I was happy for her. I was shocked. All I could say to her was that I was concerned about the choices she was making.
Were I allowed to be a little less PC I would have grabbed her by the shoulders and given her a good shaking. I would have reminded her of her own tumultuous childhood, and I would have asked her if she wanted that for her own child. I would have told her that I was terrified for her and for her child.

A Phillie Teacher said...

I recently met a 28 year old GRANDmother who thinks it's fine that her 14 year old daughter gave birth.

Scary.