Sunday, November 28, 2010

Some questions have no answers

I have a student who goes by the moniker Brooklyn, as that is where he transferred from. He never really tells us we're hicks, but I know he is from one of the huge high schools in NYC (well, Brooklyn) that Bloomberg is trying to close.

Almost as soon as he arrived, he started dating a girl who was rather naive. I have known her since I arrived at the school and she is an athlete, but never seemed to date. She could probably have gotten a scholarship to college, but she will be having Brooklyn's baby instead.

For a while he was really working then he started cutting class again. According to his grandmother, that is why he was kicked out of school in Brooklyn. When his transcript arrived, it is obvious that academics has never been a goal.

The girl is showing but they have broken up. I am not sure he will still be in school when we return from this break. His last comment to me was that he was having to "go home for court." I asked for what, he just smiled and said "big boy jail."

So, he probably will not graduate. He probably will not be involved with this child. She will probably go to college, but it will be a while down the road. He will probably go back to jail a time or two after this trip.

I am trying to stay positive.

How do you help kids make better choices?

Is some of this jackaninniness inherent?

Are we just enabling the kids to continue a horrible cycle?

No comments: