Sunday, November 15, 2009

What is "normal" for team taught classes?

When you have a "team taught" class, what is the "norm?" I have had several special ed teachers teach with me and have a unique situation with Funsucker.

What I thought was the norm - what I have been held accountable for before - was
1) coming up with the rough idea of how I was planning on teaching the section
2) discuss with the special ed teacher to make sure everyone's accommodations were met
3) writing a test
4) discussing the test with the special ed teacher so accommodations could be made if necessary

I always graded everything (so I could see the overall picture) with the understanding the special ed teacher could change it if they wanted to (the district gives the special ed teacher access to the special ed students' grades - not the general ed grades. I have access to everything.)

I taught the lesson, then the special ed teacher and I would help them in groups. I have done this with several different classes and age groups.

This year, Funsucker insists she teach half. Now, this doesn't include her discussing anything with me, copying anything (somehow that is my job), grading anything. She lectures (this is low-level math - they need to work problems not listen to someone work problems) and then walks around the room socializing.

I have decided she will not review - I hate the way she teaches.

Is the expectation where you are that it is a 50-50 teaching? As in front of the room teaching?

1 comment:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I haven't taught a team teaching class (except for two weeks) but the situation depends upon who you are with and how lazy one of the teachers happens to be. I've seen good math teachers hand the class to crappy ISS teachers because it was the easiest thing to do and I've seen good ISS teachers grab the class from the mainstream teacher to try to save some instruction.

I was working with the best ISS teacher in the building before I had my program changed. We agreed to do everything 50-50, treating all kids equal. It would have worked out great. We each marked half the exams (so we both had ISS and mainstream papers). Now she works with an incompetent who dumps on her and she does most of the work.

I would rather be by myself than have to work with a funsucker or the person my friend works with.