Saturday, November 7, 2009

need advice on writing a letter of recommendation

I need to write a letter of recommendation for a judge. Have to have it done by Monday.

I would like to give the kid a chance - even though the student keeps making STOOPID choices. Student is in trouble in the first place. Then is told by the judge to do community service (hasn't done any in a month even though 2 teachers have told him it is incredibly important to make an effort - there is always a reason).

The student was upset with the judge, saying the judge was mean. I pointed out the judge has heard it all and doesn't believe anything anyone SAYS but is looking for what they DO.

I am going to write on letter (for the student only) detailing the choices the student has made the past month (attendance, writing on a test "I don't know this crap", sleeping through a review, etc). But I'd really like to write a more positive one than that for the judge or the student is sunk.

Any help from the great universe? A sample (names withheld) would be lovely. I am used to teaching younger students and haven't had to write many.

6 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

I've written many--I would emphasize that the child is young, made mistakes but has learned from his mistakes. I would push the positive--school attendance, paying attention, even doing an exam,things that the kid has not done in the past. I would even mention little things like removing a hat, being extra polite, etc.

I wish I had time to look for a sample. Things are really rough here now and my heart just isn't in it but if you really need one, let me know. Letter writing is one of the things I do well.

Ricochet said...

I thought of you and would like an example later (over Christmas break?)- you have too much on your plate right now.

Be well and don't let your trip take too much out of you.

Pissedoffteacher said...

I'll get it to you before then. I'm going to Jamaica Christmas. I need the sunshine and the people to get me through the year.

Ricochet said...

I've got my toes in the water and my . . . .

You deserve it!!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I'm taking a different approach than Pissed Off. I wouldn't write the letter. I speak from experience. A couple of years ago, my son kept ignoring traffic tickets. One day a cop spotted him without his seat belt on and pulled him over. When he ran the license check, he arrested my son on the spot for the outstanding warrants. He couldn't pay the fines, so spent two months in jail. Best thing that ever happened to him! He is walking the straight and narrow today. Sometimes (not all the time, sometimes) jail can turn an errant young person's life around.

Ricochet said...

mmt

Please go to Gmail