Sunday, November 1, 2009

Formula for higher U.S. math scores

POD has a lovely post basically stating the same things I quoted earlier: the easy grading isn't Georgia's problem alone click here for Pissed Off Teacher.

I love mathematics. It defines things so well, follows understandable rules (sorry, English teachers, I don't think English always does.). How will today's students ever see that?

No, I must digress. The students in my school won't. They are treated like ill-behaved children, and are catered to in a way that cripples them. Other students in schools with higher standards and expectations, will not only see the beauty of math but excel.

I wish there were ways of reaching students in high and free them from the slavery they are being funneled into.

OPINION: Formula for higher U.S. math scores. October 30, 2009 By ALFRED S. POSAMENTIER by subscription to Newsday only.

2 comments:

Pissedoffteacher said...

Thanks for the mention.

If you need any reference books, Posamentier's books are great!

Ricochet said...

I looked him up on Amazon - I have used 101+ Great Ideas for Introducing Key Concepts in Mathematics since I started teaching.