Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My most challenging class

My most challenging class is my repeater class. Their average age is 18. They have spent an average of 3.75 years in high school, so they should be close to graduation. The average is 11th.

Their average grade in Algebra in prior years is 43. They have taken other math classes - their average math grade in every math course they have taken in high school is 52.

I have 9th graders and seniors and everything in between.

They have all had it at least once before - several have had it 4 times.

I want them to care. I will settle for them passing - and, yes, I will have to modify the course for this to happen.

Oh, they need 22 credits to graduate. At this point, they should have at least 15 credits. The average is 8.

Administrators want statistics. How does the above tell them anything about my class other than it is challenging to teach?

No comments: